Peter obi's net worth, businesses, political career, and awards.
"How much is Peter Obi's net worth?", "Is Peter Obi the owner of Fidelity bank?" If you have ever asked yourself or someone else any of these questions, this blog post is for you.
Peter Obi, a former governor and prominent businessman in Nigeria, was born on the 19th day of July 1961 at Onitsha, Anambra State. He is well known not only in his native Nigeria but internationally. Despite his fortune, he always reiterates how much he likes living a simple life rather than flaunting affluence, adding that he prefers to board commercial aircraft and fly economy.
Recently, Peter Obi was in the spotlight after the infamous Pandora Paper project exposed his and other public officials' secret financial activities. Despite his staggering net worth, Peter Obi is not among the richest politicians in Nigeria, but he remains one of the most prominent personalities on the political scene.
Peter Obi net worth
Peter Obi has multiple investments and has achieved a lot in business and politics, which have greatly contributed to his staggering net worth. Currently, Peter Obi's net worth is $10 million.
Peter Obi was the heir apparent to his family's business when his father passed away. He has various assets around the globe. His family runs grocery chains in Lagos, Anambra, and Abuja. He has stakes in financial industries, including banks and stock brokerage firms.
Peter Obi has numerous mansions and manors across Nigeria and the United Kingdom. According to the Pandora Papers, he has secretly invested a large sum of money in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Peter Obi companies
Peter Obi's family owns a supermarket chain that operates in Lagos, Anambra, and Abuja, which is one of his many ventures in the retail sector. He has investments in a variety of financial services firms, such as banks and stock brokerages, among others.
Peter Obi was also able to establish a successful and well-respected career in the business sector thanks to the intelligence and business acumen that he possesses.
He served in a variety of managerial and business capacities for a number of well-known organizations throughout his career.
Peter Obi served as Chairman of the Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) under the administration of former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (SEC).
He was a member of a number of prestigious organizations, such as the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG), the Nigerian Chartered Institute of Bankers, and the British Institute of Directors (IOD)
Peter Obi also owns and operates a number of multinational franchises, including South African international breweries, Ovaltine, and Heinz products, among others. All these have contributed to the rapid increase in Peter Obi's net worth.
Is Peter Obi the owner of Fidelity bank?
Before venturing into politics, Peter Obi held the position of Fidelity Bank's youngest chairman. Although Peter Obi is a major stakeholder in Fidelity Bank, he is not the outright owner of the financial institution; that title belongs to investors of Ghanaian origin.
Over five million customers are served by Fidelity Bank's 250 business locations and other digital banking channels, making it a fully functional commercial bank in Nigeria.
Peter Obi houses
Peter Obi's house in London
In addition to the lush house that he resides in, which is worth millions of naira and is located in Anambra, Peter Obi also has a residence in London.
According to the Pandora Papers, he has an undisclosed amount of money invested in properties in the United States Virgin Islands.
Peter Obi's house in Anambra
Peter Obi's cars
Though Peter Obi is not among the top 10 richest politicians in Nigeria, he has expensive cars, which include a Toyota Land Cruiser, a Mercedes-AMG C63, and a Lexus LX 570. Also, when he was governor of Anambra State, he was known to be transported around in a Mercedes G Wagon.
Peter Obi's political career
Peter Obi served as governor of Anambra State from March 17, 2006, to November of the same year, when he was impeached by the Anambra state assembly, led by Mr. Mike Balonwu, for gross misconduct on November 2, 2006.
Chief Humphrey Nsofor was the majority leader at the time in the Anambra House of Assembly. Then-President Obasanjo stepped in to resolve the conflict.
To further his case with the legislators of Anambra, he sent the PDP National Chairman, Chief Ahmadu Ali, and Party Secretary, Chief Ojo Madueke, to the state capital of Awka. The Supreme Court heard his appeal of impeachment and restored him to office in February 2007.
According to Media TV, during Obi's tenure as the governor of Anambra State, the state's economy, schools, and hospitals all improved.
In 2019, he was picked as the vice presidential candidate in the presidential election, running alongside Atiku Abubakar, but lost to incumbent President Muhammadu Buhari and vice president Yemi Osinbajo.
In May 2022, Obi became the presidential candidate of the LP in the impending 2023 general elections after defecting from the People's Democratic Party (PDP).
Peter Obi's Awards
Peter Obi is a well-liked and esteemed personality who has received various accolades, including;
- Golden Jubilee Award from the Catholic Diocese of Onitsha in 2015 for outstanding commitment to quality healthcare delivery at St. Charles Borromeo Hospital in Anambra State on the occasion of the hospital's Golden Jubilee celebration.
- The Voice Newspaper (Holland) Achievers Award in 2014 for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance.
- Still in 2014, he won another award from Champion Newspaper as the Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade.
- Silver Bird Man of the Year (with Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State) in 2013
- Business Hallmark Newspaper Man of the Year in 2012
- The Golden Award on Prudence in 2012 by the Methodist Church of Nigeria as the Most Financially Prudent Governor in Nigeria.
- Leadership and Good Governance Award in 2012 by The Ezeife Leadership Foundation Award for restoring peace and harmony to Anambra State.
- Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria in 2012 by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Outstanding Financial Planner and Manager still in 2012 by the Church of Nigeria, Anglican Communion for resourcefulness and creativity in governance.
- Zik Leadership Prize in 2011.
- ICT Governor of the Year in 2010 by the West Africa ICT Development.
- Champion Newspaper, Nigeria's Most Trustworthy Governor Award in 2009.
- Thisday Newspaper, the Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria in 2009.