Top 10 best private universities in Nigeria
List of the top ten best private universities in Nigeria, their locations, and some of their courses.
Nigerians have experienced many educational setbacks due to the Federal government's inability to fund the country's educational sector to a maximum level.
Even though there are many setbacks from the Federal government, some of the federal universities have done well imparting knowledge to students.
Some private universities in Nigeria have also raised the standard of education in Nigeria, and most of them have been ranked as the best universities in Nigeria.
Individuals from different states in Nigeria have helped build these private universities that have helped increase the Nigerian education system.
They have promoted education to a higher level and helped reduce the high unemployment rate in Nigeria by providing job opportunities for lecturers.
Let us look at the top ten private universities in Nigeria, their location, and their courses.
Top 10 best private universities in Nigeria
1.0 Covenant University
Covenant University is the best private university in Nigeria in 2021 among the top ten best private universities in Nigeria. Covenant University is a Christian private university owned by Living Faith Church.
Located in Canaanland, Ota, Ogun State. The World Mission Agency established the university on 21 October 2002, and it is affiliated with the Living Faith Church.
Covenant University was founded by pastor pastor David Oyedepo who is presently the university's Chancellor. Professor Abiodun Humphrey Adebayo is currently the Vice-Chancellor of the University.
Covenant University has beautiful structures and a comfortable reading environment for its students. It has a well-equipped medical centre to treat its students and learn health-related courses.
Covenant University's Colleges/Faculties and Courses
Covenant University has four faculties presently, which include:
- College of Engineering - The Covenant University's College of Engineering has five departments: Chemical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Electrical and Information Engineering, Civil Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering.
- College of Leadership and Development Studies has four departments: Leadership Studies, Languages and General Studies, Psychology and Political Science, and International Relation.
- College of Management and Social Sciences has six departments: Accounting, Banking And Finance, Business Management, Economics and Development Studies, Mass Communication and Sociology.
- College of Science and Technology has nine departments: Physics, Building Technology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biochemistry, Computer & Information Sciences, Architecture, Estate Management, and Biological Sciences.
2.0 Babcock University
Babcock University is the second best private university in the list of the top best private universities in Nigeria.
It is a Christian private university owned by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Nigeria. It was established in April 1999 in Ilishan-Remo, Ogun State, Nigeria.
The university was named after an American missionary David C. Babcock. Babcock leads the work of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Nigeria.
Babcock University's Colleges/Faculties and Courses
Babcock University has nine faculties with different departments in its school. The faculties and their departments include
- School of Medicine - The School of Medicine, has four departments, including Medicine, Anatomy, Biochemistry and Histology.
- Computing and Engineering Sciences - it has two departments: Computer Science and Software Engineering.
- Education and Humanities - The departments in the faculty of Education and Humanities include History and Internationa Studies, Religious studies, Language and Literary Studies, Music and Creative Arts and General Education Studies
- Law and Security Studies - Its departments include Jurisprudence and Public Law, Private and Commercial Law and International Law and Security Studies.
- Management Sciences - The departments that are in the faculty of Management Sciences are Finance, Accounting, Business Administration and Marketing, Information Resource and Management
- School of Nursing Sciences - Its departments include Community Health and Adult Health
- Public and Allied Health - Its departments are Medical Laboratory Science and Public Health
- Science And Technology - The departments in Science and Technology include Agriculture and Industrial Technology, Microbiology and Basic Sciences
- School of Social Sciences - Its departments include Social Work and Human Services, Mass Communication, Political Sciences and Economics
3.0 Joseph Ayo Babalola University
Joseph Ayo Babalola University is the third-best private university among the top ten best private universities in Nigeria. It is located between Ipo Arakeji and Ikeji-Arakeji in Osun State, Nigeria.
Joseph Ayo Babalola University was established by Christ Apostolic Church in 2004 and was named after Christ Apostolic Church's spiritual leader. The university is the first entrepreneurial university in Nigeria.
According to the university, its objective is to bring out moral regeneration, godliness, selfless leadership, a positive attitude to work, mutual understanding and love among ethnic, tribal, and religious groups.
Joseph Ayo Babalola University's Colleges/Faculties and Courses
Joseph Ayo Babalola University has five colleges with fifteen departments in its school, which include
- College of Agricultural and Natural Sciences - Joseph Ayo Babalola University's College of Agricultural and Natural Sciences has five departments: Biochemistry, Computer Science, Food Science And Technology, Industrial Chemistry, and Microbiology.
- College of Environmental Sciences - Its departments include Architecture and Estate Management.
- College of Humanities has two departments: the Department of English and the Department of History And International Studies.
- College of Law - The College of Law has only Law in its faculty.
- College of Management Sciences - The College of Management Sciences has five departments: Accounting, Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Human Resource Management, and Industrial Relations and Insurance.
4.0 Bowen University
The major foundation of Bowen University was first laid in 1954 before its establishment on 17 July 2001 by Nigerian Baptist Convention. The university is located at Iwo in Osun State, Nigeria. Bowen University currently has a radio station.
It is the first Baptist university in Africa. According to the school, it aimed to assist people in developing their potentials to the fullest.
Bowen University's colleges/faculties and courses
Bowen University has seven prominent faculties/colleges with different departments. They include
- College of Agriculture, Engineering & Science - Its departments are Microbiology Pure and Applied Biology, Biochemistry, Industrial Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Agriculture, Food Science & Technology, Electrical & Electronics Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering and Extension and Social Engineering (SAFE).
- College of Social & Management Science - The College of Social & Management Science departments are Accounting, Banking and Finance, Business Administration, Industrial Relations & Personnel Management, Economics, Sociology, Political Science and International Relations.
- College of Law - Bowen University's College of Law, has only Public and International Law and Private and Commercial Law departments in its faculty.
- College of Computing & Communication Studies - Its departments are Computer Science, Mass Communication, Communication Arts, Cyber Security, Software Engineering and Information Technology.
- College of Health Sciences - Its departments include Anatomy, Physiology, Medicine & Surgery, Nursing Science, Physiotherapy, Public Health, Medical Laboratory Science and Nutrition & Dietetics.
- College of Liberal Studies - The College of Liberal Studies has six departments: Music, English, Theatre Arts, History & International Studies, Philosophy and Religious Studies.
- College of Environmental Science - The College of Environmental Science departments are architecture, surveying, and geoinformatics.
5.0 Redeemer’s University Nigeria
It was established in 2005 in Ede, Osun State, following the university's approval by the Federal Government of Nigeria. Redeemer's University Nigeria has produced twelve sets of graduates since it was established in 2005.
The Redeemer's University Nigeria has gained many achievements in the African Centre of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases, including
- First accurate diagnosis of Ebola case in Sierra Leone and Nigeria in the 2014 EVD outbreak
- Discovered two novels highly divergent rhabdovirus Ekpoma in Nigeria
- Provided tools and training for disease diagnosis, sequencing and bioinformatics and many more
Redeemer's University Nigeria colleges/faculties and courses
Redeemer's University Nigeria has six faculties in its school, namely
- Faculty of Management Science - The Faculty of Management Sciences has four departments with seven different programmes, including Business Admin. and Marketing ( Business Administration and Marketing programmes), Transport Management, Accounting and Finance (Actuarial Science, Finance and Insurance programmes)
- Faculty of Natural Science - its departments are Microbiology, Applied Biology and Genetics, Biochemistry, Industrial Chemistry, Computer Science, Industrial Mathematics, Statistics, and Physics.
- Faculty of Social Sciences - its departments include Economics, Mass Communication, Political Science & Public Administration, Psychology, Sociology and Tourism Studies.
- Faculty of Humanities - its departments are English, History and International Studies, Theatre Arts and Film Studies and Religious Studies.
6.0 Igbinedion University
Igbinedion University is the sixth-best private university in the list of best private universities. Igbinedion University is the first private university established in Nigeria in 1999.
It is located at Okada, Ovia North-East Local Government Area, Edo State. The university was founded by Sir Gabriel Osawaru Igbinedion, a well-known Benin chief.
According to Igbinedion University, its mission is to pursue excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship by providing world-class facilities and opportunities for education, training, and employment to all those able to benefit without any form of discrimination.
To enhance human advancement, prosperity and public welfare through teaching, research and outreach programmes that encourage applications of knowledge, promote discipline and emphasise entrepreneurship, and manage resources effectively to achieve these aims.
The university has produced over 10,000 graduates from undergraduate and post-graduate schemes since its invention in 1999.
Igbinedion University's Colleges/Faculties and Courses
Igbinedion University has seven different faculties with different departments. The colleges are
- College of Pharmacy contains the following departments: Pharmacology and Toxicology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Practice, Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology, Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Pharmacognosy.
- College of Engineering - its departments include Chemical/Petroleum, Civil, Electrical/Electronics & Computer and Mechanical Engineering.
- College Arts and Social Sciences - The College of Arts and Social Sciences contain the following departments: Economics & Development Studies, Geography, Urban & Regional Planning, Mass Communication, Political Science & public administration, Sociology & Anthropology and International Relations & Strategic Studies.
- College of Natural and Applied Sciences - Its departments are Computer Science and Information Technology, Microbiology, Chemistry and Physics.
- College of Business and Management studies has the following departments: Accounting, Banking and Finance, and Business Administration.
- College of Law
- College of Health Sciences - The College of Health Sciences departments include Anatomy, Biochemistry, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Nursing, Physiology and Medicine.
7.0 American University of Nigeria
The American University of Nigeria of Nigeria is the 7th best private university among the top ten best universities in Nigeria. The American University of Nigeria, founded in 2004 by a former Nigerian Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, is a private university located in Yola, Nigeria.
It is the first American university in Sub-Saharan Africa. Its abbreviation was formerly known as ABTI and was later to AUN.
According to AUN, its mission is to become a great centre of learning and research for Nigeria and Africa and a catalyst for development worldwide.
It also focuses on the practical roles a great university must play in developing a great nation and continent.
American University Of Nigeria's Colleges/Faculties and Courses
The American University of Nigeria has five different faculties with different departments in its school. These faculties include:
- School of Art and Sciences - The departments in American University Of Nigeria's School of Arts and Sciences are Communications & Multimedia Design, Natural & Environmental Science, Petroleum Chemistry, Economics, Politics & International Studies and English Language & Literature.
- School of Business and Entrepreneurship - Its departments include Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Marketing and Management & Entrepreneurship.
- School of Law - The School of Law has only Law department in its faculty.
- School of Engineering - The departments in School Engineering are Chemical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Systems Engineering and Telecommunication Engineering.
- School of Information Technology & Communications - its departments are BSc Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems and Telecommunications & Wireless Technologies.
8.0 Afe Babalola University
Afe Babalola University is the 8th best private University in the list of best universities in Nigeria. Afe Babalola University was founded by a lawyer, Afe Babalola, in 2009 that named the University after his name.
It is located at Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, Nigeria. The high rated private University has a teaching hospital for medical students.
Afe Babalola University stated that its vision is to lead education reform in Nigeria by providing a world-class educational centre of excellence in academics, character, sports and vocational development.
Afe Babalola University's Colleges/Faculties and Courses
Afe Babalola University has six different colleges with different departments. The colleges include:
- College of Sciences - Its departments are Biotechnology, Industrial Chemistry, Computer Science, Geology, Physics and Electronics, Human Biology, Petroleum Chemistry, Biochemistry, Mathematics and Microbiology.
- College of Law - The College of Law has only a law department in its faculty.
- College of Engineering - its departments are Mechatronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Aerospace and Astronautical engineering.
- School of Social and Management Sciences - its departments are Peace and Conflict Studies, International Relations and Diplomacy, Social Justice, Sociology, Business Administration, Tourism and Event Management, Political Science, Communication and Media Studies, Intelligence and Security Studies, Economics, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Banking and Finance.
- College of Medicine and Health Sciences - its departments are Public Health, Human Nutrition and Dietetics, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Physiology, Nursing Science, Medical Laboratory Science and Anatomy.
- College of Agriculture - Its departments are Animal Science, Agricultural Economics, Agric. Extension Education, Agric. Crop Science and Soil Science undefined
9.0 Landmark University
Landmark University is the 9th best private university among the top ten best private universities in Nigeria. Landmark University is a Christian private university that is affiliated with the Living Faith Church.
It is under World Mission Agency (WMA), a Christian mission organisation founded by Dr David Oyedepo. The Christian private University is located at Omu-Aran, Kwara State.
According to Landmark University, its missions are
- To raise a generation of solution providers through a qualitative and life-applicable training system that focuses on value and creative knowledge.
- To raise a new generation of leaders through a broad-based qualitative education built on sound biblical principles culminating in the birth of breadwinners, job creators and world changers.
- To raise an army of reformers who shall redeem the battered image of the black race and restore her lost glory as these well-equipped graduates begin to build the old waste, repair the wasted cities and raise the desolation of many generations as pathfinders.
Landmark University's Colleges/Faculties and Courses
Landmark University has three different colleges with different departments in its school, namely:
- College of Agricultural Sciences - The departments in Landmark University's College of Agricultural Sciences are Agric Economics and Extension, Animal Science, Crop and Soil Science and Food and Nutrition.
- College of Engineering - its departments include Agricultural Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Mechatronics Engineering.
- College of Pure and Applied Science - The College of Pure and Applied Science's departments include Biochemistry, Computer Science, Microbiology and Physical Sciences.
- College of Business and Social Sciences - its departments include Economics, Accounting, Business Administration, Banking and finance, International relations and Mass communication.
10.0 Bells University of Technology
Bells University of Technology is the 10th best private university in Nigeria among the top ten best private universities in Nigeria. Bells University, formally known as Bellstech, is the first private university of technology established in Nigeria.
It was established in Ogun State in 2004 but was granted an operating license on June 9 2005.
The vision is to become a world-renowned university committed to the development and transformation of society through the development and transformation of society through environmentally friendly technology and other innovations.
Bells University's College/Faculties and Courses
Bells University has four different colleges in its school with different departments. The department include
- College of Natural and Applied Science - The Bell University's School of Natural and Applied Science have the following departments. Department of Biological Science divided into Microbiology and Biotechnology. Department of Chemical Science divided into Biochemistry, Industrial Chemistry, Chemistry, Food Technology, Nutrition and dietetics. Department of Physical Sciences divided into Physics and Applied Mathematics with Statistics. Department of Computer Sciences and Information Technology is divided into Computer Science and Information Technology.
- College of Management Sciences - its departments include Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, Finance and Banking, Management Technology.
- College of Engineering - The College of Engineering has the following departments Biomedical Engineering, Electrical/Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering and Civil Engineering.
- College of Environmental Sciences - Architecture, Surveying and Geoinformatics, Building Technology, Quantity Surveying, Urban and Regional Planning and Estate Management